[Proj] GDA94 projection

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 01:23:58 EDT 2005

On 7/19/05, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering about the ability to reproject into GDA94 (geocentric
> > dataum of australi) using proj4 libraries, and something like gdalwarp
> > from gdal.  I know that gda94 is very close to wgs84, but it would be
> > good to be able to use gda94.  Ideally I would like to call gdalwarp
> > with proj4 arguments like:
> >
> > -t_srs '+proj=utm +zone=55 +datum=GDA94'
>

> Searching the EPSG file shows this is code 28355.
>
> Use +proj=utm +epsg=code

# GDA94 / MGA zone 55
<28355> +proj=utm +zone=55 +south +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0
+units=m +no_defs  <>

Hamish,

I think that "+init=epsg:28355" would use the predefined coordinate
system.  However, I see it's definition is essentially equilvelent to
WGS84 so it doesn't really provide the GDA94 specific definition
that Robert was hoping for.