[Proj] Differences in Output between proj and cs2cs

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Tue Mar 1 15:12:52 EST 2005

If they haven't messed with "proj" and the way I programmed it, the
"datum=WGS84" parameter on the proj runline is ignored.  Only the
+ellps=WGS84 has any meaning to proj.  It converts the geographic
coordinates to planar coordinates based upon a spherical earth
having a radius the same as the semi-major axis of the WGS84 ellipsoid.
That is, the Equidistant Cylindrical only functions in spherical mode.
If you execute proj with the -V option, proj will list +parameters that
are not used by the projection as well as a moderately complete
diagnostic of the projected numbers.

In the case of the cs2cs program a datum change is taking place because
of the two +datum arguments.  Thus the geographic coordinates are
probably changed before they get to the projection program/procedure.