[Proj] Shapefile and EXTENTS

Chapman, Martin MChapman at sanz.com
Mon May 9 18:16:46 EDT 2005

Matt,

The issue is that you are converting from angular units to linear units
when projecting from geographic to a projected system.  Angular units
range from -180 to 180 and 90 to -90 degrees.  After the re-projection
your values are in false easting and false northing which are huge
number offsets to put all values in the positive quadrant of the
cartesian plane.  If you are trying to display linear units in a map
configured to show angular units, then your linear units will be way off
the screen.  Make sure your map is rendering in the same spatial
reference system as the file you are trying to display, or vice-versa.

Martin