[Proj] Campo Inchauspe towgs84 parameters?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 11 09:36:38 EST 2005

On 11/11/05, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> So I was looking at the EPSG 6.4/6.8 SQL databases which do contain these
> parameters:
>
> epsg_v68: Query Results
> coord_op_name   coord_op_method_name    parameter_name  sort_order      parameter_value unit_of_meas_name       area_name
> Campo Inchauspe to WGS 84 (1)   Geocentric translations X-axis translation
> 1       -148    metre   Argentina
> Campo Inchauspe to WGS 84 (1)   Geocentric translations Y-axis translation
> 2       136     metre   Argentina
> Campo Inchauspe to WGS 84 (1)   Geocentric translations Z-axis translation
> 3       90      metre   Argentina
>
> However, we found different parameters mentioned in the Grids & Datums column
> "THE REPUBLIC OF ARGENTINA" (12/1999), at
> http://www.asprs.org/resources/grids/12-99-argentina.pdf
>
> It is correct to use the parameters of EPSG?
> If so, would it be possible to add them to the PROJ4 EPSG file?

Markus,

Is there really only one EPSG translation to WGS84
offered?  If so, I am surprised it isn't already in the EPSG
file.  Perhaps it was added since 6.5 that I last used.

Looking at Cliff's column, it seems EPSG shift is quite
different than the NIMA one Cliff indicates.  This would
make me quite nervous about picking just one of them as
authoritative.  I would add that "custom overrides" for
datums are very hard for me to maintain currently.

I do hope to reprocess the EPSG 6.8 database soon, and
if the autotranslation picks the -148,136,90 solution then that
will appear in the file.