[Proj] Mercator Problem

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 14:43:12 EDT 2005

I've tried to stay out of this problem but it persists.  Mugnier's statement
below is the best response to the original problem although it should be
added that the normal Mercator is useful as a conformal projection of areas
with east-west extent near the equator.

The only viable means of determining distance between points is by means of
any one of the geodesic formulas available.  The program 'geod' in the old
proj4 distribution uses one of these methods.  Vincenti's from the Geodetic
Survey is a slightly better method and is available as FORTRAN code.

If the points involved are in a local grid system or from a map, invert them
to geodetic coordinates and use above methods.

With current computing equipment and methods I don't think we need to resort
to good-old-day methods for computing the distance between points.

--
Jerry and the low riders:Daisy May and Joshua
"The being cannot be termed rational or virtuous,