[Proj] preferred documentation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 11 10:48:19 EST 2006

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Could you rename the file to proj-pdf-docs-1.1.zip?  While I realize
> many people who just download and read them don't care if there's a
> version, packaging systems need a version number.  If you don't
> provide one, they have to make one up, and then numbers will be
> inconsistent across systems and could even go backwards if you ever
> assign a number in the future.  Also, someone might reasonably expect
> that proj-pdf-docs.zip is the same content as proj-pdf-docs.tar.gz,
> just bundled differently, but that's not true.

Greg,

I hate assigning versions to things that have nothing to do with
the corresponding software release version.  Inevitably people will
ask where to find proj-pdf-docs-4.5.0, as already happens on occasion
with the versioned grid shift files.

> Sorry if I'm seeming difficult -- as a packaging system maintainer
> I've found that these seemingly minor points make a difference in both
> the amount of effort and the quality of result over time.

I appreciate the feedback, and I do aim to do at least some things
to streamline life for packagers.