[Proj] Finnish KKJ in proj 4.4.9 - Linux vs. Windows

Roger Oberholtzer roger at opq.se
Wed Jan 4 10:03:43 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 16:26 +0200, Martin Vermeer wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 11:47 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 17:02 -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > > Roger,
> > >
> > > I got matching results on Linux and Windows:
> > >
> > > cs2cs +proj=latlong +ellps=WGS84 +to +init=esri:2393
> > > 24d52.87822 60d12.21644
> > > 3382686.81      6678774.91 -24.59
> > >
> > > I also verified this with the FWTools binaries for cs2cs.
> > >
> > > Could you try cs2cs on each platform?  Then perhaps try
> > > the cs2cs that is part of the FWTools build?
> >
> > I ran these through the cs2cs on windows that uses the exact same
> > dll/tool chain as my program and got the results (correct) as above. I
> > then changed my program to use the definitions from the esri file
> > direct, as in:
> >
> > 	toProj   = pj_init_plus("+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=27 +k=1.000000 "
> >                                                 "+x_0=3500000 +y_0=0
> > +ellps=intl "
> >
> > "+towgs84=-90.7,-106.1,-119.2,4.09,0.218,-1.05,1.37 "
> >                                                 "+units=m +no_def");
> >
> > But I get the exact same difference on windows.
> >
> > I have once again verified that the values (lat/long) given is the same
> > on both platforms (checked to 8 decimal places). The source code is, as
> > I have said, the same. Just the compiler and libs (math and all) are
> > different. I am using MSVC++ 6.0.
> >
> > I am at a loss as to what I could do to effect these differences. cs2cs
> > and my app are both using a proj dll (the exact same one). And that
> > cs2cs seems to work.
> >
> > s*i*...
> >
> > > The cs2cs should be doing essentially the same thing as
> > > your program.
> >
> > I looked at the cs2cs program to sort out how to use the C functions. I
> > would expect that it should be doing the EXACT same thing with proj.
>
> This may be a silly remark, but are you sure there aren't any UNIX
> newlines left in some of your Windows files? I could imagine the
> compiler / compiled programme to react weirdly to this (have sometimes
> seen this).

The program source is only Unix EOL. MSVC++ has never had a problem with
this. I wish it was something as simple to fix. We also do OS-9, which
has a third type of EOL and will only accept that in .h files. But MSVC
++ has this properly sorted.

Note that the application in question also uses geotrans as well as
local stuff, and they provide identical results on the two platforms. It
is only proj...

> - Martin

Roger Oberholtzer
OPQ Systems AB