[Proj] Dataset mismatch?

Michael P Finn mfinn at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 27 14:13:05 EST 2006

Ed,

Thank you for the reply. I haven't rolled up my sleeves on this problem
but I follow you points clearly. Off the top of my head then, if a
transformation of this sort is only a meter or two, and a pixel is 2.4m,
then Jarrett's discrepancy of a couple hundred meters, smells like a
blunder somewhere to me. (Or, perhaps, he is at the max accuracy he can
expect considering the two sources he is using and their pedigrees (the
accuracies (errors) in their sources and methods of collection).

Mike

"Ed McNierney" <ed at topozone.com>
Sent by: proj-bounces at lists.maptools.org
01/27/2006 12:29 PM
Please respond to
"PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions"    <proj at lists.maptools.org>

"PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions" <proj at lists.maptools.org>
cc
proj-bounces at lists.maptools.org, gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org
Subject
RE: [Proj] Dataset mismatch?

Mike -

Yes, the USGS used thousands of points, but they needed to cover the whole
country!  For CONUS that's around 50,000 quads worth.  We're only talking
about one quad that's only about 10 x 15 kilometers.  If the NGS used 400
points per quad they would have needed over 20 million points.

I took a look at the Mount Sherman, CO quad that is the subject of the
original post.  The northwest corner of that quad is at 392131E 4345059N
(NAD27) and 392084E 4345267N (NAD83).  The NAD27 -> NAD83 datum shift at
that point is (-47E, +208N).  If I go to the southeast corner of that
quad, the coordinates are 402746E 4331044N (NAD27) and 402699E 4331252N
(NAD93).  The NAD27 -> NAD83 datum shift at that opposite corner is (-47E,
+208N) - identical to the datum shift at the opposite corner!  I cannot
imagine one would require 400 intermediate control points to accurately
calculate a datum shift across an area the size of a 7.5-minute quad -
especially when the shift at opposite corners is the same.  You might, I
suppose, manage to get off by a meter or two, but since a single pixel on
a 1:24K DRG is 2.4384 meters on a side, you're literally below the
threshold of precision on the data.

Jarrett's seeing discrepancies of hundreds of meters.  Even if you
measured only one point and presumed the datum shift was identical across
the entire quad, you couldn't produce an error that large.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.