[Proj] How to Scale a Mercator projection?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 25 17:58:17 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I'm sorry I haven't responded yet to any of your email on gdal-dev and
> elsewhere.  I have just checked, and I definately see an effect when
> specifying +k_0:
>
> warmerda at gdal2200[82]% proj +proj=merc +ellps=WGS84 +k_0=0.998
> 5 5                          (input)
> 555484.26       552476.68    (output)
> warmerda at gdal2200[83]% proj +proj=merc +ellps=WGS84 +k_0=1.0
> 5 5                          (input)
> 556597.45       553583.85    (output)
>
> Perhaps you could be more specific about how you determined it was having
> no effect?

Of course, your examples work for me too. Inspired by that, I went back
to my examples, and found that I had always specified lat_ts. I thought
I'd tested that, but I guess I had tested changing lat_ts to 0 or other
values, but not removing it altogether. If you don't specify lat_ts,
then k_0 does have the effect I'd expect. This is consistent (except for
the 0)with:
>> """
>> A more common formulation for Mercator is to drop the +k_0, and
>> instead to provide a latitude of true scale using the +lat_ts
>> parameter, which is the latitude at which the scale is 0
>> """
>
> Where exactly did you see this?  You are quite right that a scale of zero
> is nonsensical.

I found that here:
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/mercator_2sp.html

It must be a typo.

However, this is a GDAL issue. This all started with my trying to use
the python bindings to osr. I initialized the projection with various
versions of:

Proj.SetMercator( clat = 29.1333,
                   clong=-89.583333,
                   scale=0.0174532925199433,
                   fe=100,
                   fn=-2972000,
                   )

The scale parameter didn't make a difference. Thinking it may be an
issue with the bindings, I then went straight to the proj command line
tool, but I started with the command line spit out by osr.py when I
passed in 0 as the scale:

ValueError: Failed to initialize PROJ.4 with `+proj=merc +lat_ts=29.1333
+lon_0=-89.583333 +k=0.000000 +x_0=100 +y_0=-2972000 +ellps=WGS84
+datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs '

In there, I see that lat_ts has been set, which is why scale didn't do
anything. In fact, lat_ts is always set by osr.py, even if you set it to
0, and, with the python bindings, you don't have the option of not
setting it at all, as they are all non-keyword arguments.

This issue aside, I'm still a bit confused. My understanding is that the
projection (at least on nautical charts) is defined by it being
Mercator, and by the scale at a reference latitude. That's why I was
trying to set lat_ts: I know the scale at a latitude near the middle of
the chart. Given that the scale changes with latitude with a mercator
projection, it seems that that's a needed parameter.

The other option is to calculate the scale from the reference points,
but it would be nice to be able to do it directly with the info in the
bsb file.

thanks for your help,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov