[Proj] Re: Discovery: libproj4 stmerc = French Gauss-Laborde projection

Martin Vermeer martin.vermeer at hut.fi
Thu Jun 15 02:37:58 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 13:50 -0400, strebe at aol.com wrote:
> Hm. I didn't know about that web page. Obviously it's wrong -- for some
> reason "p" appears in several different roles. I tend to think that's
> an error in conversion to a web page. (I see that the entire blurb is a
> single graphic, not HTML mark-up.) Certainly he's been pedantic and
> precise in all his communications with me.
>
> The p/2 exponent should read (e/2), where e is the eccentricity.

Yes, I agree.

> Use some other variable (perhaps p') in place of p in "Then, the
> complex variable tan (p/2) can be obtained..." and "...yields the
> argument p..."

Actually the argument p is simply the (ellipsoidal) co-latitude
90d - phi.

The common expression in u and v corresponds to exp(psi), where psi is
the _isometric latitude_, i.e., essentially the "northing" in a
traditional (non-transverse) Mercator map plane.

Isometric latitude and longitude (psi, lambda) together as (x,y)
co-ordinates in a plane define a conformal mapping from the curved
Earth's surface. Using (psi, lambda) directly as rectangular
co-ordinates produces classical Mercator. Using

u + iv = exp(psi + i * lambda)

i.e., polar co-ordinates, produces the stereographic projection. This is
very much what Dr Wallis's formula looks like. Apparently for him it is
only a trick leading somewhere... but then I also get lost.

Regards Martin V

PS you may want to look at

http://users.tkk.fi/~mvermeer/geom.pdf

pp 99-100 and around p. 90. Sorry it's in Fenno-ugrian formulese...