[Proj] Re: libproj4 stmerc = French Gauss-Laborde projection

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 04:23:26 EDT 2006

I heartily recommend the AGM method for computing the elliptic integral. It's
fast and accurate everywhere, and can be implemented to arbitrary precision.
Polynomials seem a poor choice for this.

See Abramowitz & Stegun, p. 598 (17.6). Bulirsch (1965) supplies an excellent
implementation of the AGM, but you can use it as described in Abramowitz &
Stegun with great efficiency.

Regards
-- daan Strebe