[Proj] [A bit OT] NMEA, GGA and GGK

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 18:26:28 EDT 2006

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> This is not really a proj question. But there is certainly relevant
> experience on this list.
>
> When computing locations from NMEA data, it is possible to have both GGA
> and GGK records containing location information. Given the choice, is
> one better to use than the other? I suspect this is very receiver
> dependent. But I do not know this. Opinions?

this question is perhaps better posed to the gpsd mailing list,
  http://gpsd.berlios.de

(which is worth checking out anyway if you are thinking of NMEA parsing)

GGA is definitely the more standard - I've never heard of GGK.
RMC,GLL are worth a look as well.

My guess is that ultimately it depends on your GPS.

do a web search for "nmeafaq.txt"  It might help.

Hamish