[Proj] Complex Transverse Mercator

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Tue Jun 27 16:40:24 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 1:34 pm, Oscar van Vlijmen wrote:
> From: Strebe-aol.com:
>
> You might avail yourself of a copy of L.P. Lee's monograph, "Conformal
> Projections Based on Elliptic Functions", Cartographica, Monograph Number
> 16, 1976. Quoting verbatim from p. 97:
> "The positive y-axis represents part of the equator, extending from lambda
> = 0 to lambda = (pi/2)*(1-k)... At this point the equator changes smoothly
> from a straight line to a curve... The projection of the entire spheroid is
> shown in Fig. 46, again using the eccentricity of the International
> (Hayford) Spheroid. It can be seen that the entire spheroid is represented
> withing the finite area without singular points..."
 Just a quick note as Tuesday is my "day off" from cartography.  What is the k
above---e or e^2?

What bothers me about the Wallis plot the curve is not a "smooth" transition
but suddenly takes off on an angle.  This may a graphic problem, but ... .

Yes, I need to look into Lee and a couple of other papers but getting them out
here in the boondocks of Cape Cod is not that easy.

Regarding your numbers, I am going to wait until I get proj_dtmerc going so I
can provide all the other support for the projection like ellipsoids, etc..
What I was using before was just a skeleton main executing gkfor with input
lines of lat-lon.
--
Jerry and the low-riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua
"Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum"