[Proj] Re: Proj4 Bug (rtodms)

cp ch.panel at free.fr
Wed Nov 8 04:29:25 EST 2006

first, excuse me for my poor english.

"Gerald I. Evenden" <gerald.evenden at verizon.mail> a écrit dans le message de
news: 200611051448.17043.gerald.evenden at verizon.mail...

> So far, I have not found any way to reproduce your problem and
> consequently
> find no reason to change code.  However, I do have a couple of questions:

this simple program produce a "NOT OK" output :

    #include <math.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    static int res1,res2;
    int main()
    {
      double r=240.0;
      res1 = r / 60.;
      res2 = floor(r / 60.);
      printf("%s",(res1==res2) ? "OK!" : "NOT OK!");
      getch();
    }

I think that because floor corrects values that were epsilon under the
absolute value, if epsilon is smaller than the floating point precision.

my compiler is Borland C++ compiler and I work on Windows XP, but I don't
think that C runtime libraries at this point are differents ??? (I believe
not because of portability with Kylix) ???

> 1. on what hardware (chip) was this problem created,

Intel Pentium

> 2. what compiler/library was employed and

Borland C  (CW3230mt.dll)

> 3, level of optimization specified.

none

> Interestingly, r before being divided by 60 does not have a fractional
> component (exactly equal to 240.).  The implication is that the floating
> point processor produces a "ragged" result where the mantissa is not
> rational.  That is, something like 3.9999... is produced.  The floor
> operation should still have produced 3 as the unchanged code did with
> simple
> conversion to integer with the memory assignment of the division
> operation.
> I suspect something is gummed up with the handling of the extra bits that
> are
> part of the mantissa in the floating point hardware.

I don't, but the hardware in the FPU works with 10 bytes instead of 8
because of precision and exact numbers doesn't exist in FPU

> Lastly, the problem line has been handle by:
>     deg = (int)(r / 60.);

the problem cannot be resolved by this