[Proj] Custom projection wildly inaccurate

Thy, Kristian Kristian.Thy at atkinsglobal.com
Mon Nov 20 08:07:57 EST 2006

From: Oscar van Vlijmen
> There seem to be several approximations. Most straight (read:
> what you can do per proj/cs2cs command line alone) projective
> approximations are bad.
> There is really only one way to do it correctly: use the
> official polynomial solution.

Yes, but that's not easily translatable for use in Proj-based
applications like GDAL and MapServer (as far I know, at least).
We will most likely have to convert the data manually, but in
the meantime it would be nice to have a bad-and-fast projection
for demonstration and testing purposes.

> An interesting approximation, using transverse mercator with
> some pre- & postprocessing, can be read in:
> Kp2000 - en nødvendighed eller ikke?
> Dansk Vejtidsskrift, (6/7) 2001, p. 18-19
> Leif Kahl Kristensen, Institut for fysik og astronomi
> <http://asp.vejtid.dk/Artikler/2001/06-07%5C2930.pdf>
>
> He gives an approximation for two System34 zones: Sjælland
> and Jylland/Fynn.
> Using his approximation I got for the coordinates you mentioned:
> lon =12d 20m 42.97906s; lat = 55d 52m 40.50251s; wgs84 datum.
> -> x = 86714.465; y = 162554.937 m
> The values you mentioned were:
> -86714.42, 162554.98
> Kristensen states that his procedure results in an average
> difference in X of 5 cm, in Y of 9 cm, with a maximum difference
> of 18 cm.
> For his Jylland/Fynn approximation the differences are larger.

Interesting. For our application, that error would be acceptable.
My next question would then be if I can then somehow use the
formulae presented to warp an orthophoto using gdalwarp, but I
guess that's a question for another list :-)

> Algorithms and formulae are usually not copyrightable, but they are
> patentable. So, still publishable, more or less, but if
> patented, commercial exploitation and sometimes other forms
> of exploitation are prohibited, at least in the countries
> where the patent is valid.
> Note: I'm no lawyer, so this is no legal advise!

Makes sense. But them again, IANAL (either) :-)

best regards,
Kristian

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.