[Proj] pj_transform function

Hugo Tyson Hugo.Tyson at cpslocates.com
Fri Oct 6 05:15:20 EDT 2006

Sandeep Kumar Jakkaraju [sandeepkumar.jakkaraju at gmail.com] wrote:
> So what should be the  projection definition then .. to make
> it general..???
> I am trying to convert the geographical co-ordinates to
> screen co-ordinates ..
> so i require to convert the lat/lon to some projection and
> the convert that X,Y to pixels...
> hope this is correct ...

Ah.  So you just want like a map of the whole world, as
a rectangle, sort of thing?  That's not a "projection"
in the proj4 sense, as I understand it.

How about
	double x = (lon + 180.0)/360.0 * pixelswidth;
	double y = (lat +  90.0)/180.0 * pixelsheight;
of course that'll be ugly at far north and south,
but at least it maps the whole space.

> or is there some function in proj4/or anywhere else which
> does this ....??

I don't think this is the sort of thing that proj is for.

Alternatively if you're mapping a small areas of the world
into one page or bitmap, you need to pick a proj4 projection
that works for that small area.

	- Huge

PS I was mistaken in what I wrote before, mercator maps to a
half-cylinder wrapped around the globe.  Your example touches
at long 0.0, so it's still true that your long -104 is "around
the back".

> On 10/6/06, Hugo Tyson <Hugo.Tyson at cpslocates.com> wrote:
> 	proj-bounces at lists.maptools.org <> wrote:
> 	> I want to transform ... this lat/lon 39.739/-104.985...
> 	> to world mercator project ..with the defintition 	>
> 	> World Mercator <54004> +proj=merc +latts=0 +lon0=0
> 	> +k=1.000000 +x0=0 +y0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m no_defs
> 	<> >
> 	> but the method gives an "error"....
> 	>
> 	> this method works fine if i give lat/lon say 42.4182,-74.2643
> 	I've not heard of "world mercator", but looking at the parameters
> 	it's projecting into a plane tangent to the sphere at
> lat 0, lon 0.
> 	So it only works for longitudes from -90 to +90 (though
> these map
> 	to infinities in the projected plane).
> 	Your example of -104 longitude is around the back of the earth,
> 	on the "far side" from the projection plane.   Therefore a
> 	line from the origin through the point never intersects the
> 	projection plane, so no result can be calculated.  Hence your
> 	error.  Lon -74 is in range, so it's OK.

Hugo Tyson, Cambridge Positioning Systems Ltd
This email and any attachments are confidential. They have been checked for viruses but it is your
responsibility to conduct your own virus checks.
Cambridge Positioning Systems Limited, 62-64 Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 1LA, is registered in England
under company number 2808344.