[Proj] X,Y UTM distance calculation (compare with latlong WGS84)

marco vieira maovieira at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:33:04 EDT 2006

Oon:
 My sugestion:
  1) Convert to degrees
  2) Calculate distance with a  geodesic algorithm (Vicenthy, Puissant,
etc).

 You can't use this distance to irradiate new UTM points (distance + angle +
source point = second point) because UTM distance are "projected" (with
controled distortion). To make this you must project this distance with
local + ellipsoid parameters.

I Don't know about distance calculation with proj4 tools
There is manual methods to "zone transposition", but my sugestion is more
simple and generic than it.

When you talk about WGS84 you talk about "datum", not "projection". UTM is
used too with WGS84 datum.
You only calculate distance with cartesian formula using latlong coordinates
with you don't care about hundred meters of error but if you dont care about
probaly you are talking about much kilometers, than maybe you get thousand
meters of erros using this.

Regards
--
Marco Vieira