[Proj] Re: Graduated equidistant projections for convenient co-ordinate transformations

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 00:08:28 EDT 2007

Mike,

I have a better idea of where you're coming from now. I see your need, more
or less, though you seem more interested in precise coordinate inversion than I
really see the need for. You don't see more maps on the projections you
describe because not many people share your priorities.

Be careful not to get too cavalier about the other traits. It's very uncommon
for a map projection to satisfy two metric criteria simultaneously. You may
mean that you can get good "enough" distance measurements even wit your
"graduated" equidistant, but good "enough" for you might not be good enough for
someone else. You certainly can't get the best distance measurements AND the
equidistant property simultaneously.

I don't think there's a lot more I have to say here. I'll be traveling for
awhile, so I can't respond in any case.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe