[Proj] Re: Graduated equidistant projections for convenient co-ordinate transformations

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 6 13:51:53 EDT 2007

strebe at aol.com wrote:
> Since I'm the only other one participating in this discussion I have to
> think everyone else is long bored of it. (It's also probably off-topic
> by some people's assessment.)

I thought it was, however, as I started to write this post, I noticed
that the title of this list is: "PROJ.4 and general Projections
Discussions" -- this sure seems to fall into "general Projections
Discussions", unless software is assumed.

In any case, I'm still a bit confused about the OPs goals. Particularly
since this is a list talking about software, I tend to think that maps
tend to be electronic these days. In that case, getting the coords of a
point is up to the software -- it should be easy to click a point and
get its coords, or specify coords, and find out if that point is within
a given feature.

Not that paper maps aren't still of great use, but for analysis,
electronic maps are far more useful.

Given that, projection should be chosen according to the visual needs of
the user, which will depend on the expected use, of course.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov