[Proj] Polar stereographic, different values on different platforms?

aaime74 andrea.aime at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:37:51 EDT 2007

Hi,
at Geoserver we're experiencing some issues with projection code, and we
took Proj as
an external reference for comparison.
Well, it turns out that proj 4.5 returns different results when compiled for
Windows
and Linux.

On Linux:
desruisseaux at adagio ~ $ proj
Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006
usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]
desruisseaux at adagio ~ $ proj +proj=stere +lon_0=-96.0 +lat_0=90 +lat_ts=71
+ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84
-121.33955 39.1012523
-2529570.00     -5341800.00

On Windows:
C:\Program Files\FWTools1.1.3>proj
Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006
usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]

C:\Program Files\FWTools1.1.3>proj +proj=stere +lon_0=-96.0 +lat_0=90
+lat_ts=71
 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84
-121.33955 39.1012523
-2544346.32     -5373003.77

The Linux output is in accord with Geoserver and the sample value at
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/polar_stereographic.html,
whilst the one on windows seems to be in accord with some old ArcGis
version. Hmmm.... what's going on?

For a full discussion on this issue, see our jira issue track:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-1037