[Proj] Re: how to compare 2 proj4 definitions? or: how to normalizeproj4 definition?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Mar 1 09:26:55 EST 2007

Sergey -

I never generated any code - I simply worked on trying to define the
problem.  The problem with a user-configurable "epsilon" value is
whether that is what the creator of the definition intended.  We can
provide tools for the user to adjust, but it's hard for the user to
determine whether they did the right thing or simply succeeded in
forcing two DIFFERENT definitions together.  But having some kind of
tolerance value will certainly be needed if you want to consider 3.28
and 3.281 as both being the "same" multiplier when converting meters to
feet.

If possible, I think using the EPSG database is helpful.  If you can
determine that a given PROJ definition is congruent to some EPSG code,
and that another PROJ definition is also congruent to that EPSG code,
then you can conclude that they should be treated as the same
definition.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker