[Proj] FW Tools 1.2.2 beginner

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 10 19:04:01 EDT 2007

Conor O'Donoghue wrote:
> I have just installed FW tools 1.2.2 (successfully, I
> believe)but I am do not know how to proceed.
>
> Two Questions
> 1) I need help with choosing the most appropriate
> utilitiy (GDAL or Proj for example). My objective is
> to forward re-project, or warp, tiff's (vector files
> later). I have no need to use the functionality with
> another program, so i think the command line should be
> fine.

Conor,

Generally speaking you would use gdalwarp to warp a raster
image.   For instance if you have a geotiff currently samples
on a WGS84 grid, and you wanted to reproject it to UTM 11 WGS84
you might do:

gdalwarp -s_srs '+proj=latlong +datum=WGS84' \
   -t_srs '+proj=utm +zone=11 +datum=WGS84' in.tif out.tif

> 2) I need some guidance in getting started. I have
> read much of Gerald L. Evenden's Proj.4 User's manuals
> and i believe i can manage the command line syntax.
> Since I have no programming knowledge and can only
> limp around in DOS I am not sure how to get the
> command line working in the dos shell. (For example,
> when in the FWTools1.2.2 or proj_lib directories when
> I type "$ proj" I get '$' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or
> batch file.) in that case i am not invoking the
> proj.exe.

The "$" is the command prompt in some examples.  Don't actually
type it in.  Likewise if you see commands prefixed by C:\> or
% it is likely the same thing.

Good luck,