[Proj] Winkel Tripel inverse coord transformation

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Fri May 18 14:50:02 EDT 2007

> From: Sergey
> Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:08:01 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: [Proj] Winkel Tripel inverse coord transformation

> I have jpeg image with Winkel Tripel projection map.
> I need to detect longitude and latitude for each pixel of projection.
> Please advice me what library can i use (proj4 or libproj4)?

libproj nor proj have an inverse Winkel Tripel projection.
Can only be done iteratively, as is shown in a couple of articles, one of
which is:
"A general algorithm for the inverse transformation of map projections using
jacobian matrices"
Cengizhan Ipbüker, I. Öztug Bildirici
Istanbul Tech. University Faculty of Civil Eng., Div. of Cartography &
Selcuk University, Faculty of Eng., Dept. of Geodesy & Photogrammetry; Sep.
2002
http://atlas.selcuk.edu.tr/paperdb/papers/130.pdf

The article gives an algorithm for the inverse of Aitoff-Hammer, Winkel
Tripel and Mollweide.