[Proj] Gallery of map projections into a PDF book

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 23:52:04 EST 2007

Hi folks,

for a while I have wanted to see Paul Anderson's Gallery of map projections in a form more easy to browse than PDF pages in a web browser.  ( http://www.galleryofmapprojections.com )

A printed book would be nice.

In an effort to scratch that itch and learn something new about reStructured text to LaTeX processing, I wrote a little shell script to convert the collection into a single PDF book (77mb, 274pp).

It's not perfect- no hotlinks to the page numbers from a central TOC/index, and the title page TOC isn't well centered, but it does the trick for me. It also suffers portrait/landscape issues with a2ps if I try to fit two pages on one. All these things are possible; fixes most welcome.

Bonus: optionally converts individual PDF pages to PNG images, e.g. for a rst2html thumbnail gallery.

enjoy,
Hamish