[Proj] epsg parameters

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Apr 2 12:29:47 EDT 2008

Folks,

Things change.  That includes Datums.  Even National publications of "official" datum transformation parameters change from time-to-time.  WGS84, ITRFxx, etc., are various realizations of the shifting continents.  We often find 7-parameter transformations being published without any indication of which "sense" of rotations is supported.  The only way to have a good guess is when a test point is provided by a National government.  Nevertheless, as datums evolve, so do the transformations.  How do you keep up?

Check, and re-check every time you need such a transformation.  Usually, but not always, a national govt. will publish a notice that things have changed.

If this were simpler, what would consulting Cartographers and Geodesists do for a living?

Cliff Mugnier
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY