[Proj] Polar stereographic, different values on different platforms?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Aug 21 04:01:32 EDT 2008

Bruce Raup wrote:

> Has the problem described in the below been resolved yet?  A colleague
> of mine and I have just executed the same "proj" command on Windows
> and Linux, and are getting different results.  Windows version is Rel.
> 4.6.1, 21 Jul 2008.  Linux versions are Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006 and
> Rel. 4.6.0, 21 Dec 2007
>
> Command:
> echo "105 40" | proj +proj=stere +lat_0=90 +lon_0=0 +lat_ts=70 +datum=WGS84
>
> On both Linux boxes, we get the output
> 5577808.93      1494569.40
>
> On Windows, my colleague gets:
> 5610189.12      1503245.64

FWIW, PROJ 4.6.0 compiled from source on Windows with MinGW gives the
"Linux" result above, while the version included in OSGeo4W gives the
"Windows" result.

However, I don't know if this is an issue with the compiler or the
runtime. MinGW uses msvcrt.dll, while the OSGeo4W version uses
msvcr71.dll. Attempting to use "-nodefaultlibs ... -lmsvcr71" with
MinGW ends up pulling in both msvcrt.dll and msvcr71.dll.