[Proj] WGS84 to Sphere Inconsistency Between Proj Versions

Faron Anslow fanslow at eos.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 21 21:51:12 EDT 2008

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for looking at this. Looks like your proj reprojection matches my
result, which is encouraging. Would you go out on a limb and say this is
the "right answer"?

The Matlab function we built passes identical projection parameters into
the proj library as I pass to cs2cs or proj or define in GRASS GIS. I
looked closer, and compiling the mex file as

mex -l proj /home/fanslow/Work/Code/Matlab_tools/cs2cs_proj4.c

uses matlab's version of the PROJ.4 library, which is of uknown origin.
My other method uses the library that I compiled (PROJ 4.6).  (FYI a mex
file is an interface between matlab and other programming languages).

I guess the main question here is why one version of proj gives
different values than another when passed identical projection
parameters?  We have Matlab's version (comes with the mapping toolbox)
and then we have the one I compiled  giving different results.  Do you
know if there was a change in how proj handled moving from an ellipse to
sphere since version 4.4?

Thanks again.
--Faron

--