[Proj] Re: Polar stereographic, different values on different platforms?

strebe strebe at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 01:06:04 EDT 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:24:27 PM, "Frank Warmerdam"
<warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
Bruce Raup wrote:
> I agree with this general philosophy. I can't imagine a bug being
> squashed within 24 hours in a typical proprietary package.

For whatever reason, the concept of providing fixed
binaries does not seem very common with larger proprietary software
packages these days (or perhaps I just don't see it). Nevertheless,
I think speed of bug fixing is a strength of open source, especially
for a savvy user willing to rebuild from "trunk".

It is a problem of responsibility. Many bug fixes introduce new bugs,
occasionally far, far from the location of the fix. A propriety vendor
feels responsible for the consequences of a bug fix and often ends up
exhaustively testing the entire binary for any bug fix(es) that go
into a build. Hence it is most common for a propriety vendor to roll
up several bug fixes into one release so that the exhaustive testing
can be amortized over many bugs. Of course, it takes time to
accumulate many bug fixes. Hence it takes time for new releases.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe