[Proj] Re: PROJ 4.6.1RC2 Available

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Aug 25 10:02:55 EDT 2008

Hello,
In the ticket, Frank wrote:

> I'd like some supporting documentation indicating
> that ETRS89 is essentially equivalent to WGS84.

May I quote myself:

> However, for most practical purposes, ETRS89 can be regarded as
> identical to WGS84 ... The difference is mainly caused by the
> continental drift since 1989, which moves Europe (and ETRS89)
> about 2 cm/year towards east-northeast. Differential GPS in Europe
> will (primarily) give coordinates in ETRS89, but such coordinates
> are often called "WGS84 coordinates", in a loose sense of the word.
  (From the Carmenta Engine manual.)

My primary source is the text by the British Ordnance Survey,
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/gps/docs/A_Guide_to_Coordinate_Systems_in_Great_Britain.pdf
or
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/gps/information/coordinatesystemsinfo/guidecontents/
which, by the way, I find wonderfully clear and easy to read.
ETRS89 is described in section 4.2.4.

I admit that the guide does give some (time-dependent) 7-parameter
transformations between WGS84 and ETRS89, in section 6.5.  But as I
understand it, these would be needed only for special scientific
applications (perhaps interferometry with very long baselines, where
observatories on different continents have to cooperate.)  For everyday
mapping, ETRS89 is used.  For positioning, if you use GPS with differential
correction, you will also get ETRS89.  And if you use GPS without differential
corrections, then you will indeed get WGS84 instead of ETRS89, but the accuracy
will be worse than the (currently) half-metre difference between the datums,
so it will not matter anyway.

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Box 11354