[Proj] Egypt Datum Transformation Parameters

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Tue Aug 26 12:31:29 EDT 2008

Irwin,

There are numerous academics and government agencies in Egypt that can supply what you want, but nobody is likely going to do so.  I have tried to get such information for years, and have never even received the courtesy of a reply.  Note that such information is considered a military secret in some countries, and I suspect that Egypt is one of those countries.

The NIMA/NGA transformation parameters are from ED50 - European Datum 1950 to WGS84 as well as Old Egyptian Datum 1930 to WGS84.

If you need better accuracy, I recommend you perform the observations yourself and publish your derived transformation parameters on this list for everyone else.  I would like to point out that 7-parameter transformations are really applicable only to small provincial areas that are significantly smaller in areal extend than a single Egyptian Transverse Mercator Belt.  Working with a crew of a dozen men all with dual-frequency receivers, you should get the job done within a decade or so ...    :-)

The point to this is that what you desire is likely a government secret, and you are asking for geodetic-quality transformations for an entire country.  That sort of thing is implemented with algorithms such as NTv2 or NADCON - not with a Molodensky or Bursa-Wolfe model.  I have used such models in the past, but for tiny regions such as a single international boundary line or for a city.

You likely will have to "make do" with what you have unless you receive Egyptian Government authorization to do otherwise.

Cliff Mugnier
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY