[Proj] Google Earth Accuracy

Andrew Williams AWilliams at rapidmap.com
Tue Dec 2 17:55:53 EST 2008

This is a fascinating thread. Yet another issue arises as the Earth is not a static frame.
We resell a GPS unit here in Australia that outputs ITRF (International Terrestrial Reference Frame) coordinates. To look at the values they appear no different to WGS84 lat\long that any other GPS in the world outputs.
That is until you compare the location of a "fixed" point.

ITRF is a spaced based reference frame. It was originally designed for space based exercises such as docking a shuttle with a space station that needed an independent positioning mechanism.

The system has high repeatability but apparently low accuracy when compared to "accepted" coordinates.

On the There is an 8 parameter transformation to bring ITRF into co-incidence with WGS 84. The 7 are the standard 7 parameters we all know. The 8th is time. This system uses a differential correction signal based on ITRF in 1994 fixed in 2000. From then on a set of corrections has been calculated that takes into account continental drift.

In Australia continental drift equals 70mm a year North. So in 2000 the ITRF coordinate for a point was equal to WGS84. In 2008 the ITRF coordinate differs from a WGS84 coordinate for the same point by 560mm.

When you know this it's relatively easy to create code based on the 8 parameter transform and convert ITRF of the day to WGS84, however it does catch some people unaware.