[Proj] Re: "Double ellipsoid" case?

ndzinn at comcast.net ndzinn at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 15:59:47 EST 2008

Mikael,

Thanks for your revised assessment of maximum angular distortion in the Google Maps Projection (GMP).

Are you aware that the scale distortion in GMP is very large and unstated?   In the vicinity of the Equator and it's about 1.0067 (that's 67cm per 100m).   You can't compensate for it with the point scale factor equations of the Mercator projection in the second stage of the GMP (your alternative A) because it's embedded in the first stage of the GMP, the non-conformal mapping from WGS84 to the Google Sphere (GS).   Here's how you can demonstrate this to yourself.

Choose any meridian.   We're going to traverse north up that meridian (a great circle geodesic) from the Equator to 1 degree North on the Google Sphere (GS) and on the GMP.   Consequently, the Eastings are irrelevant; they're constant.   Here's the raw data.

The inverse geodesic distance along the meridian on the GS from the Equator to 1 degree North is 111319.4908m.   The GMP Northing on the Equator is 0m and the point scale is 1 (unity).   The GMP Northing at 30 minutes North is 55,660.4519m and the point scale factor is 1.00003808.   The GMP Northing at 1 degree North is 111,325.1429m and the point scale factor is 1.00015233.

To convert from grid distances (111,325.1429m in this case) to geodesic distances surveyors use Simpson's Approximation to compute the line scale factor.   That's the sum of the end-point point scale factors plus 4 times the mid-point point scale factor divided by 6, or 1.000050775 in this case.   Divide the grid distance by line scale factor and you'll see that we have a sub-millimeter tie with the geodesic distance.

If there were a physical monument on the Equator and one at 1 degree North (same meridian), what would be the distance between them?   Well, that would be the geodesic distance on the WGS84 ellipsoid.   This is the WGS84 datum, isn't it?   Well, that distance is 110,574.3886m.   The ratio of these distances is the hidden (and, therefore, insidious) scale distortion of the GMP in this vicinity of the world.

An underlying and yet unmentioned distinction in this thread is that geodesists think in terms of meters on the ground and GIS cartographers think in terms of pixels on a monitor.   It's a different frame of reference, a different tolerance for error.   If I surveyed football pitch (about 100m), a 67cm error would concern me.   My question for you is: How long a distance would it take for the hidden GMP scale distortion to move your image to the wrong pixel on your monitor?

Regards,

Noel Zinn