[Proj] "Double ellipsoid" case?

Noel Zinn ndzinn at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 14:21:32 EST 2008

Chis,

Yes, it does depend on the application.  I typed the following on my PDA
this morning as a response to daan, but it addresses your question about my
application.

daan,

First, let me say that although I disagree with your perspective on the
Google Maps Projection (GMP), I do understand it and accept its validity.
There are other, equally valid perspectives, however.  I work in an industry
(oil) with lots of bright people in their fields who need geodetics and
cartography to do their jobs, but who do not share your knowledge or that of
Mikael in this area.  Blunders that can cost lots of money and can risk
lives are best avoided by standardized, well-documented procedures in
geodetics and cartography.  GMP is neither standard (ellipsoid switch
between the datum and the projection) nor well documented (or this thread
would not be so long - we've both learned something).  I regret that GMP is
the (free) de facto standard (as you call it) because (1) that encourages a
relaxation of prudent geodetic and cartographic practice in general and (2)
some creative GMP user will move a GMP map from the monitor to a paper chart
to the field where a regrettable mistake can happen. Regardless of its
asserted engineering optimality (I'd appreciate a reference) Google could
have made a better choice professionally (WGS84 ellipsoidal Mercator).  You
see it differently.  That's fine.  We just disagree.

BTW, you won't find "Google Sphere" on the web.  It's just my way of
conceptualizing GMP.

Regards,
Noel