[Proj] "Double Ellipsoid" error, reproduction

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Sun Dec 7 17:01:27 EST 2008

I agree,

and especially there that the problem might rise mostly
when trying to reproject old maps to more accurate datums. If the job
of the pgm is only to create new maps and just draw them with a
plotter, there never exists this problem, since one can always use the
same ellipsoid. But in the world of old and different wild maps this
must be a rather common case.There it would be very nice to have
the possibility to adjust all parameters that affect the end product.
People who don't need that freedom, just would not use it...
(nothing more to learn!)

So:

dellps=something
pellps=something

or

ellps=something , when both are  the same.

To handle the Google Earth projection (when not rotated, north is upwards), one
might now write:

proj=nsper
pellps=sphere
lat_0=....
lon_0=....
h=....
dellps=WGS84
datum=WGS84
no_defs

And the dutch case:

proj=.....
pellps=the old special one
dellps=the current dutch ellipsoid
towgs84=something currently mostly used there, 7 par.
no_defs

Any suggestions?

Regards: Janne.

"If there is a weak point in the programming, at least 10% of
the population will always be there.."