[Proj] Re: Mapping Africa in an equal area projection

Corrado Topi ct529 at york.ac.uk
Tue Dec 9 04:30:02 EST 2008

Dear Daan,

additional information .... the journal we would like to submit to requests
the maps to be in equal area projection.

They say:" Maps that display area data and organism distribution at a
continental, hemispheric, or world scale must always use an equal-area map
projection (e.g., Mollweide or Aitoff's). Note especially that Mercator's
projection is not acceptable for such data. Please indicate the precise
projection employed in the caption. On these maps, the equatorial scale
should be indicated, while scale information should be provided, preferably
as a scale bar within the figure, for all maps of whatever size and area;
use 'km' or 'kilometres', not 'kilometers'. Maps should include adequate
geo-referencing information."

Reference:

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/submit.asp?ref=0305-0270&site=1

Best,

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Department of Biology, University of York, UK