[Proj] Re: Mapping Africa in an equal area projection

strebe strebe at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 04:17:25 EST 2008

Dear Corrado:

At the scales you are working with, there is no point in worrying about ellipsoids. Spherical development is fine. You should use Albers equal area conic for North America and Eurasia, choosing standard parallels inset about 1/6th from the continental north/south extremes. Lambert azimuthal equal-area will work well with South America, Australia, and Antarctica each separately if you use the oblique case, centering it in the center of the continent.

Regards,
— daan Strebe