[Proj] Ellipsoid problem? Converting 1850 Dutch map to present day coordinate system

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Thu Dec 11 10:20:07 EST 2008

Thanks Janne. See the result of shifting the map 50M south:

http://mapserver.sara.nl/tmk/tmk1850_to_rd1970_shifted.png

Errors are smaller, but he map is still not as good as it could be. All
arrows now point more or less at Amsterdam, which is nice, but not as it
should be :-). The problem is that the errors are not linear in x or y,
but are distributed more or less in concentric circles round the point
of origin. It certainly has something to do with the ellipsoid used.

Oh, and by the way, if I change the ellipsoids in the cs2cs string
below, results are different, as they should be. However, if I use the
same method with latlon coordinates, results are the same, regardless of
the ellipses used. Is this as it should be? Latlon values on the Bessel
ellipsoid are different from latlon values on another ellipsoid, aren't
they? At least the latlon values recorded in 1850 are significantly
different from the modern latlon values for locations that are
physically the same in both years.

Jan