[Proj] Google Earth Accuracy

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri Dec 12 12:53:16 UTC 2008

Andrew Williams wrote:
> ITRF varies over time compared to WGS84 based on tectonics, correct?

No. Neither ITRF nor WGS84 is attached to a tectonic plate.
The difference between them is very small (I've heard that it is at most
something like 10 cm, but I don't remember where I heard it), and it does
not increase over time. The reason for the difference is just that
coordinates in WGS84 cannot be measured as exactly as in ITRF.
(Source: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/gps/information/coordinatesystemsinfo/guidecontents/guide4.html )

For WGS84-based mapping in Europe, we use ETRS89, which is
attached to the Eurasian tectonic plate.  ETRS89 coincided with
WGS84 on January 1, 1989, as if the WGS84 graticule had been
painted on the ground that day.  Since then, the ETRS89 (and Europe)
has drifted away toward northeast by 2-3 cm/year.  So it is
the difference between ETRS89 and WGS84 that increases due
to continental drift. (Similarly for NAD83 in North America.)

However, I am writing about WGS84 in a strict sense above.
Many people who use GPS are familiar with WGS84, but they
have never heard of ETRS89.  So these people will say "WGS84"
when they really mean "ETRS89".  I believe differential GPS
in Europe will really give ETRS89 coordinates, although most
users would call them WGS84 coordinates.

Duncan Agnew wrote:
> Rather weirdly, Australia has chosen not to define a local frame,
> even though it has a plate all to itself.

I am not a plate tectonician, but I believe this is wrong.
The Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994 (GDA94) is attached
to the Australian plate.
(Source: http://www.icsm.gov.au/icsm/gda/wgs84fact.pdf )

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB