[Proj] What about datum shift via direct projection?

Noel Zinn ndzinn at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 22:29:11 EST 2008

My understanding of rubber sheeting is admittedly lacking, Gerald, but I
didn't know that it delivers the feature (fairly precise datum shifting)
that direct projection (per the reference) does.

For those that have not followed the links, direct projection replaces the
following process,

LL(global)<>ECEF(global)<(7-parameter)>ECEF(local)<>LL(local)<>EN(proj),

with this,

LL(global)<>EN(proj),

by a least-squares solution of the critical projection parameters (four in
the case of TM, and, additionally, the two ellipsoid parameters change from
local to global) over as many control points as you care to include.  There
is no change of projection.  Though possible, it will significantly
deteriorate the results (residuals on the control points) due to different
distortion footprints. The whole point is to plug the local control point EN
into the same projection with different parameters (and ellipsoid) and get
global (not local) LL.

This whole exercise is handled mathematically without any visual reference
(the "sheet").  In fact, if you accept the 7-parameter geocentric ECEF datum
shift, the adjustment can be done with random numbers over the area of
interest (Sweden in this case).  But better if it be done with control
points whose survey data were originally adjusted on the local ellipsoid and
readjusted on the global ellipsoid, in order to reduce the residuals as much
as possible.

I may be wrong, but I think this is more than rubber sheeting delivers.
Does MAPGEN do this?  With the centimetric residuals cited in the reference?
Over the size of a Swedish TM gon zone?

Nevertheless, I share your reservation.

Regards,
Noel