[Proj] Google Earth Accuracy

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Dec 17 15:24:40 UTC 2008

I am also a surveyor, but not a geodesist. I would add a couple of very
brief comments to complement what Richard said:

Richard wrote: "WGS84 and ITRF are not fixed to a plate,  they are
geocentric and fixed to the center of the earth."

I believe when we say "center of the earth" we mean the Earth's center
of mass. This could be very different from the center of an ellipsoid
used to model the earth, and different still from the location pointed
to by a plumb line at the earth's surface. I believe the correction
between the center of the ellipsoid and the plumb line even has a name,
which is the laplace correction.

It is also important to note that the center of the earth's mass changes
over time. I believe it is most commonly determined by measurement in
the changes of the orbit of satellites around the earth. Something
called the "precession of the nodes" is popping in to my mind.

I would also point out that the WGS84 datum is maintained by the
Department of Defense, and I don't know that they exactly publish all
the details of that maintenance. For example, I have yet to meet someone
that could tell me if/how WGS84 is defined on the ground. You can't go
out and survey a monument with published WGS84 coordinates like you can
monuments with NAD83 coordinates. But I wonder if there are such
monuments used by the military as part of the "ground control component"
of WGS84.

Richard wrote: "NAD83 is fixed to the North American plate."

This can get complicated to. You have to factor in issues of local and
regional movement. For example, where I live, regional subsidence can be
a real problem. But I'm in California, and in California you start
dealing with all types of ground movement, like that along the North
American and Pacific plate boundary.

One important thing to remember is that in most cases, people are
worried not about absolute coordinates, but the spatial relationship
between "things" on the Earth's surface. That's why plate tectonics
usually isn't an issue in boundary surveys. :]

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658