[Proj] PROJ as embeddable framework for Mac OS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jan 7 22:38:28 EST 2008

Some comments:

It's not that I don't build the PROJ framework with Xcode, but that I
hadn't updated the project files for download.  I took a few minutes
and did that.  Note that it's for PROJ 4.5 for now, as I haven't
looked at 4.6 yet because of the datum behaviour change. The project
includes the patches I use to make the NAD file handling endian-
agnostic so PROJ can be built universal.

Even so, remember that if you make adjustments to build it from the
start to use @executable_path, the PROJ_LIB setting should still be
left as is (or ignored), and the library initialized at runtime as you
worked out.

The Copy Files + install_name_tool you worked out is pretty standard
fare, so don't knock it.  Some may like to tweak things and build it
all from scratch.  Others may prefer to use as much binary source as
possible.  Both methods are completely valid.

Full paths to framework internals is preferable (other than the
@executable_path part).  That is, don't depend on symlink shortcuts,
but use the full "Versions/x.y/PROJ" path inside the framework.  At
least, this is the recommendation for installed frameworks, but could
apply to bundled frameworks.  I think it's mostly a versioning safety
thing.