[Proj] NAD problems on OSX 10.5 Leopard

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jan 16 10:43:25 EST 2008

Sorry to keep responding to myself...

On Jan 16, 2008, at 9:08 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

>> On the other side, though, with the current extra bytes, the
>> fseek() in nad_ctable_load() doesn't seem to be skipping over those
>> bytes, so they are read as part of the data.  Could it be due to
>> sizeof(ct) used in nad2bin, but sizeof(struct CTABLE) used in
>> nad_ctable_load()?  Or an fseek bug?
>>

> So, is sizeof(struct CTABLE) supposed to be the size including the
> *cvs pointer?  If so, then it's a bug (OSX at least) in sizeof.  But
> the pj_malloc(sizeof(struct CTABLE)) in nad_ctable_init() seems to
> be working properly.
>
> To make sure, how about:
>
> sizeof(&cd.id) + sizeof(&cd.ll) + sizeof(&cd.del) + sizeof(&cd.lim)

no sizeof bug.  I was probably (still) misunderstanding datum
transforms a bit, and the  latlong to latlong tests and utm27 to utm83
tests, though the same, were still wrong. Now, with the writing of the
NAD files leaving out the extra bytes, AND and reading in the nad_init
seeking to the proper place with the above sizeof change, it's all
consistent, and agrees with the Tiger 32bit-only transform:

$ cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD27 +to +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83
-118 38
118d0'3.385"W	37d59'59.751"N 0.000

$ arch -i386 cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD27 +to +proj=latlong
+datum=NAD83
-118 38
118d0'3.385"W	37d59'59.751"N 0.000

$ cs2cs +init=EPSG:26711 +to +init=EPSG:26911
412199.39 4206081.09
412118.95	4206279.97 0.00

$ arch -i386 cs2cs +init=EPSG:26711 +to +init=EPSG:26911
412199.39 4206081.09
412118.95	4206279.97 0.00

Is there a definitive way to verify this?  I'm basing the
"correctness" of this by the NAD83 ticks on a USGS topo map.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy