[Proj] NAD problems on OSX 10.5 Leopard

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:50:56 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 8:28 PM, Ed McNierney <ed at topozone.com> wrote:
> Rich -
>
> The one thing that significantly surprised me was how well that code
> performed on low-end machines.  I think I released it in 2002 - maybe
> 2001 - and there were plenty of "slow" computers visiting TopoZone.  I
> realize it's just math (other than updating the status bar with the
> formatted coordinate text), but I was really expecting to see some kind
> of lag if you waved the mouse quickly on a slow machine, but I never saw
> the slightest delay.  I have found that I sometimes worry excessively
> about performance!
>
>         - Ed

I believe it was you who coined the term "premature optimization",
which always gets a chuckle when I use it. And I too have been amazed
at the performance of the JavaScript code I ported that does one or
more a projections (or unprojections) and a 7 parameter datum
transform for every pixel the user passes over. I kind of remember
computer science texts that discouraged us from using floating point
math if it could possibly be done with integers.

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com
www.greenwoodmap.com