[Proj] Re: NAD problems on OSX 10.5 Leopard

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Fri Jan 18 08:35:52 EST 2008

Ed McNierney writes:

> I think I'd want to remember that "premature optimization"
> really reminds us to "make it work correctly, THEN make it
> work quickly"!  This is related to the observation that any
> code can be made to execute arbitrarily quickly as long as it
> is not required to produce the right answer.

A modern take

The Fallacy of Premature Optimization

by Randall Hyde

Every programmer with a few years' experience or education has
heard the phrase "premature optimization is the root of all evil."
This famous quote by Sir Tony Hoare (popularized by Donald Knuth)

http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v7i24_fallacy.html

Cheers

Norman