[Proj] Representing rotated poles

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Sun Jan 27 23:53:27 EST 2008

Hi,

what I understand, the most easy way is simply to rotate the poles back where they should be before using any proj-4, since that assumes that your coordinates are about right, datum shifts can only handle small shitfs in the rang of few hundred meters usually. I think proj-4 uses pole shifting internally with some projections, but externally nobady knows, since they are rotated back to their places after the math... well, several projections do that kind of tricks.. (?)

So you simply do the same. Add few lines in your code so that the poles get back to their right places, and then call proj-4. And if your application needs the results to be rotated, you simply add some more lines of code.

Regards: Janne.