[Proj] Installing Proj on a Mac

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 18:14:13 EDT 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 5:17 pm, Naiara Pinto wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a question about a relatively simple thing..I need to install Proj
> on a Mac. I tried two things:
>
> 1) donwload the tar file to /usr/local and do:
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> 2) download the tar file to a local folder /users/naiara/library and do:
> mkdir proj
> ./configure --prefix=/users/naiara/library/proj
> make
> make install
>
> Either way I didn't get any error messages, but when I type proj I get the
> message "command not found". I suspect I might need to add an extra line to
> my .bashrc file, but I am not sure what it should be. I have a Mac OS
> 10.4.11 and I am trying to install Proj 4.6.0. My real goal is to install
> GDAL, so I am wondering what the best procedure is to make sure that GDAL
> can link to Proj.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Naiara.

cd to wherever the program proj resides and type:
./proj
You should get a proj usage error or something better than a system piss-off.

But the basic problem is the install has apparently not put the executable
into a directory that is reference in your PATH environment.

Enter
echo $PATH
and see which directories are listed. For example on my machine:
 echo $PATH
/home/gie/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

If proj is not in one of those directory either put it there or modify PATH by
adding the directory where it does reside.

In the old days you used to have to do a rehash but I doubt if that is the
problem.

BTW: if you don't know it, the basic OS underlying the Apple is Unix---topped
of with a horrid GUI.  Sorry for the soapbox but I had a laptop for a few
years and finally gave it to #2 son.

-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist