[Proj] Installing Proj on a Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jul 7 15:07:25 EDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> I have a complete set of binaries for PROJ, GEOS, GDAL and a few
>> others in OSX "framework" form.
>
> I highly recommend these.
>
> William, would you consider having your Frameworks put links in to
> the executables in /usr/local/bin ? That might be handy. Or maybe
> link them all to one location in /Library/Frameworks, and then put
> that in the PATH.

Actually, I used to have scripts on the GDAL disk image to do this for
GDAL (one for binaries, one for python scripts).  For something like
GDAL it seemed a bit fragile - binary names could change, and programs
may be added, especially with the python scripts.  And there are a lot
of them.  And I had to also mention them in the uninstall instructions.

A good compromise could be symlinks for the other frameworks, where
there are only 1 or 2 programs, and adding only the GDAL framework to
the PATH.

One thing I do, to avoid excessive /usr/local usage (needs sudo and
it's hidden), is have a ~/bin and add that to my PATH, where I put
random binaries and scripts.  Create the symlinks there.  (Note: the
framework path can be simplified by removing Versions/Current/ - there
is a Programs symlink at the framework's top level.)

Personally, probably since I don't have a Unix background, I don't
mind adding stuff to my PATH.

I suppose I could reinstate the scripts, but make them put the
symlinks in the current dir - so just cd to the dir where you want
them, then run the script (and run it with sudo for /usr/local/bin).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.