[Proj] Re: Distance measured in Mercator projection

strebe at aol.com strebe at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 16:21:00 EDT 2008

If you assume a spherical earth, the length of a meter on the Mercator equatorial aspect is

1m / cos (phi)

where phi is the latitude and "cos" is the cosine function. Be careful to set the calculator to degrees or else to convert the latitude to radians. The calculation is more complicated on an ellipsoidal earth.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe