[Proj] CEA from an ellipse and +R_A

David James Brockley djb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 05:09:03 EDT 2008

Hi Gerald

Thanks for the frank reply. I'm new at map projections!

What I want to do is : call pj_fwd() with a pair of geodetic
coordinates on the WGS84 ellipsoid, have the latitude transformed to
authalic latitude, and get XY in cylindrical equal area with a radius
equal to the authalic radius for WGS84. As far as I can see from the
books, this is the normal way to convert from WGS84 lon/lat to  CEA x/
y. Please correct me if I'm hopelessly confused already by this stage.

As I understand it, the Authalic sphere is an intermediate step
between a reference ellipsoid (in my case WGS84) and a map projection
(cylindrical equal area). It allows one to project from the ellipsoid
and causes the result to still be equal area, but you have to replace
geodetic latitude with authalic latitude.

 From Map Projections: Theory and Application p102

R^2_A = a^2(1-e^2)( 1 + 2e^2/3 + 3e^4/5 + ... )

and

sin phi_a = sin phi ( ( 1 + 2e^2 sin phi / 3 + ... ) / ( 1 + 2e^2/3
+ ... )

So, given a reference ellipsoid with known a, proj works out R_A -
this works and is as I expected.

What I would now expect is for proj to take the input Geodetic
latitude and convert it internally into an Authalic latitude before
doing the coordinate transform i.e.

y = R_A * sin( phi_a ) / k

but what actually happens (tracing with GDB) is

y = R_A * sin( phi ) / k

This is when I initialise with +R_A

Is the convention that when using +R_A you have to do the conversion
to Authalic latitude outside of proj?

I can see from PJ_cea.c that for the spheroidal case, pj_qsfn() and
pj_authlat() are used to handle the conversion to and from authalic
latitude, but in this case proj is using WGS84 a for the radius, not
R_A. (If I initialise with +proj=cea +long_0=0 +ellps=WGS84)

When I initialise with +R_A, I get the radius I want, but the
projection switches to using the spherical code so the transformation
to authalic latitude doesn't happen.

Hope this helps explain my confusion. Thanks for your help.

Brock