[Proj] RE: Proj Digest, Vol 50, Issue 22

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:37:00 EDT 2008

A few points:

1. anyone is ill advised to make distance measurements from small scale maps.
If the maps cover global regions.  Distance measurement from small scale maps
is absurd with any projection other than azimuthal equidistant which *only*
gives distance from the origin of the projection.

2. For large scale maps, approximate distance can be determined with care and
knowledge of the particular projection and scale.  Using distances determined
from a map is *very* dependent upon the skill of the user and his/her correct
resolution of the accuracy of the map derived values and the accuracy needs
of the application.

3. Anyone seriously interested in determining distance will use a geodesic
computation program.  For an excellent FORTRAN procedure and executable DOS
program see:

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/TOOLS/Inv_Fwd/Inv_Fwd.html

I second Mugnier's suggestion regarding Snyder's book and would add "How to
lie with Maps" by Monmonier as a good read.

Can we drop this spam about tweeking obscure projections to do impossible
jobs.